1. The English Defense League have organized a march on the Woolwich area of South London.
Do the EDL not realise that by marching through woolwich, they’re stopping police from protecting us…?
Line of police blocking #Greenwich mosque from #EDL via @ebadurrahman1
3. The EDL are a far-right street protest group that focuses heavily on anti-Islamism and immigration in England.
Rose Hughes (Gretton
EDL gathering at pub in woolwich. Riot police on site
EDL gathering in Woolwich tonight
5. The protests were brought on by the incredibly violent near-beheading that took place in Woolwich earlier Wednesday afternoon.
More EDL. Some now in balaclavas:
First bottle thrown, misses police hits photographer. #woolwich #edl
7. After news broke that the man who was hacked to death was a soldier, killed in what investigators are calling an act of terror possibly motivated by radical Islam, the EDL organized.
Cops look on at EDL display
EDL Chanting “whose street, our streets” Police now getting more involved. #woolwich
9. They quickly took to Facebook after the murder, calling on EDL members to stand up to Islam in England.
11. As EDL members protested on Woolwich, the EDL’s Facebook page was calling for people who couldn’t reach the town “take a stand” where they live.
Just taken a few comments off the EDL Facebook page. Wow
13. As of Wednesday night, the biggest concern for London law enforcement are EDL members and sympathizers attacking immigrants.
Police at #Woolwich trying to stop EDL members attacking immigrants.
Cops surrounding square, Edl milling about spoiling for a fight, helicopter up and scene of terror attack up road
15. Londoners tweeting from the protest describe a tense stand off between masked EDL members and law enforcement.
Police seem to have the EDL at arms length. Game of Cat and Mouse here in Woolwich.
Police restore order, Edl still wearing balaclavas but not throwing stones anymore
17. Footage taken of law enforcement rushing protestors in the street.
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›