1. The owners of Goodrich Capital 8 Theaters in Jefferson City, Missouri, thought greeting Iron Man 3 audiences with people holding fake guns was a good idea.
2. The theater had a group of cosplayers dressed like members of S.H.I.E.L.D., the ficitious military branch featured in the movie.
3. The publicity stunt, though, went sour when customers panicked fearing a James Holmes copycat was storming the theater.
4. Several called the police, reporting seeing “a man in full assault gear, carrying what appeared to be a modified M-4 and 9 mm on his side.”
5. ABC 17 interviewed Captain Doug Shoemaker, who was incredibly critical of the theater’s decision:
“We received a series of 911 calls stating that a man dressed in all black and body armor and a rifle was walking into Capital 8 Theaters,” said Capt. Doug Shoemaker.
Officers thought they were responding to an active shooter investigation.
“Everything was in place, it’s the opening night of a superhero movie, it’s somebody walking in all-dark clothes, everything pointed to bad things about to happen,” said Shoemaker. “There’s really no good that can come of this.”
6. Bob Wilkins, the theater’s manager, said that only a few moviegoers were upset by the stunt and that hundreds were entertained.
7. The theater seems to bring in a lot of cosplayers around the premieres of their movies, here’s a Facebook album of some of the other events.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.