1. This was a real flyer sent home by the Lincoln, Neb., public school system:
2. The flyer has nine rules for children who experience bullying, advising kids not to tell on bullies and to not make bullies mad by defending themselves.
Rule #1: Refuse to get mad.
Rule #2: Treat the person who is being mean as if they are trying to help you.
Rule #3: Do not be afraid.
Rule #4: Do not verbally defend yourself.
Rule #5: Do not attack.
Rule #6: If someone physically hurts you, just show you are hurt; do not get angry.
Rule #7: Do not tell on bullies.
Rule #8: Don’t be a sore loser.
Rule #9: Learn to laugh at yourself and not get “hooked” by put-downs.
3. The parents of the fifth-graders at Zeman Elementary School who saw the flyer weren’t happy, and began flooding the school’s administration with complaints.
4. On Wednesday, the Lincoln Public Schools Facebook page responded to the controversy, apologizing for the “inaccurate information” that was “sent home with good intentions.”
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›