1. This was a real flyer sent home by the Lincoln, Neb., public school system:
2. The flyer has nine rules for children who experience bullying, advising kids not to tell on bullies and to not make bullies mad by defending themselves.
Rule #1: Refuse to get mad.
Rule #2: Treat the person who is being mean as if they are trying to help you.
Rule #3: Do not be afraid.
Rule #4: Do not verbally defend yourself.
Rule #5: Do not attack.
Rule #6: If someone physically hurts you, just show you are hurt; do not get angry.
Rule #7: Do not tell on bullies.
Rule #8: Don’t be a sore loser.
Rule #9: Learn to laugh at yourself and not get “hooked” by put-downs.
3. The parents of the fifth-graders at Zeman Elementary School who saw the flyer weren’t happy, and began flooding the school’s administration with complaints.
4. On Wednesday, the Lincoln Public Schools Facebook page responded to the controversy, apologizing for the “inaccurate information” that was “sent home with good intentions.”
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing 9 people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- Kentucky clerk Kim Davis has been taken into federal custody until she orders her staff to issue marriage licenses. ›
- Tom Brady's four-game suspension by the NFL following the "Deflategate" scandal has been overturned by a federal judge. ›