1. Megan Sugg, a senior at Glen Burnie High School in Maryland, wanted her terminally ill mother to see her graduate.
2. Megan’s mother, Darlene, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer three and a half years ago. And as the end of the school year came closer and closer, Darlene’s health started to deteriorate.
3. Officials at the school rushed to make sure Darlene could be there for Megan’s graduation. They gathered in Darlene’s hospital room and held a graduation ceremony for Megan on Thursday.
4. Family members told local reporters that the impromptu ceremony was an incredible experience. Darlene was exhausted, but aware of the ceremony.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›