1. Jesse Heikkila, a 7-year-old from Brockton, Mass., lost his battle with brain cancer last week. Jesse loved superheroes and wanted to fight bad guys, so naturally he wanted to be a cop when he grew up.
2. Local police officer Dawn Savery had been following Jesse’s battle with cancer on Facebook and decided to make sure that Jesse got the send off he wanted. Jesse’s mother, Suzanne, was given a citation making her son an honorary officer.
3. Officers attending the funeral saluted Jesse’s casket, embraced Suzanne, and made sure Jesse had a proper police officer’s funeral.
4. Jesse’s uncle, Brian Heikkila, dressed as Batman for the funeral, and the church’s organist played the theme song to one of his favorite movies – Star Wars – during the procession.
5. Officer Savery made sure Jesse’s funeral was well-attended, putting out a call to police officers from all of Massachusetts and abroad. They sent Jesse’s family cloth patches representing police departments from places as far away as Hawaii.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who accused of helping two inmates escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.