1. A mile-wide tornado touched down in Moore, Okla., a region to the south of Oklahoma City on Monday afternoon.
3. It came down in a wall of clouds and quickly tore through the area.
MT @OWxPhotography: Developing wall cloud SW of the Oklahoma City metro!
5. Emergency teams in the area announced around noon that severe storms could land between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Another photo of the HUGE tornado near Oklahoma City (pic: @Rem_Crowder)
7. It was originally thought there may have been two tornadoes landing in the city.
KFOR says there might be two tornadoes south of Oklahoma City
WLTX - On Your Side
RT @WLTX: LIVE: Tornado on the ground near Oklahoma City. Watch on http://t.co/rJcq74lKuF
9. As the storm hit, winds were moving up to 302 mph.
Georgia Storm Chaser
Picture of MASSIVE tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. Very close to Oklahoma City. Reporter on tv broke down in tears.
Andrew Ba Tran
A friend posted this tornado picture from Milam Tool Co at 13800 S Macarthur Boulevard in Oklahoma City
11. Area schools evacuated students in buses, though some children remained trapped in a local school.
mt @TimWilliamsCBS: #BREAKING: Elementary school ..took direct hit, children may be trapped. Oklahoma City #okwx
13. Two schools are completely gone, and much of Moore, Okla., has been reduced to rubble.
David Gandy Asst
SW Oklahoma City/Moore residents, please take cover! Massive mile-wide tornado ripping through your area @NEWS9
15. Authorities have still not announced an official totally for injuries or fatalities yet.
17. As the storm cleared, news helicopters were able to start surveying the damage.
First images from @kfor of storm damage in Moore, OK http://t.co/xkgCe40163
19. Many neighborhoods were completely leveled.
Tornado Damage in Moore, OK (via @linda4news)
Damage near Moore High School in Moore, OK - Watch @KFOR live coverage http://t.co/cPXdY1qY1s
21. Fires that broke out in the parts of the destroyed neighborhoods posed a serious danger for residents trying to evacuate.
NBC Nightly News
NEW PHOTO: Fire burning in Moore, Oklahoma following massive #tornado
Georgia Storm Chaser
Worst tornado damage I have seen since Joplin. Picture of what’s left of a daycare in Moore, Oklahoma. Brings tears.
23. The storm moved out of Moore by 4:30 p.m., making its way towards Jacktown, OK.
A large farm near Moore, OK took a direct hit by today’s tornado
Huge pile of debris in Moore, OK from tornado
26. Shocking vines from the ground in Moore:
Completely obliterated neighborhood 2 miles from my home https://t.co/Lxjoxjeov8
These men are looking for a lost little boy named Tommy https://t.co/D737Z7bIvY
Hurt man in Moore tornado https://t.co/BoPSLXIqsZ
Here’s a tornado literally right by our house https://t.co/zVyfJDFbo5
30. A photo of the storm moving away from Moore, further south towards Paul’s Valley.
Lowering wall cloud over Paul’s Valley. Get in shelters now!!!
33. Children were pulled from the rubble of Plaza Towers Elementary School Monday afternoon as emergency crews rushed clear the residents trapped inside.
35. The tornado tore through at least two schools and a hospital, killing at least four people, though a total number of fatalities is still unclear.
- President Obama has announced a new rule that would expand eligibility for overtime pay to millions more Americans.
- An order from the U.S. Supreme Court means Texas abortion clinics affected by a new state law can stay open while the law is challenged.
- Transgender women can be housed in women's immigrant detention facilities under new guidelines issued today.