1. Maddy has been playing football since she was in second grade.
2. She was a starting left defensive tackle for Strong Rock Christian Academy’s football team in Georgia… until she was kicked off the team.
3. The school’s CEO told Maddy she wouldn’t be allowed to play as a seventh grader.
4. Maddy and her mother told a local news station in Atlanta that the CEO of the school told Maddy she would disrupt the team’s locker-room culture.
5. Maddy’s mother, Cassy Blythe, said the CEO of the school referenced the Bible in his decision.
In the meeting with the CEO of the school [Patrick Stuart], I was told that the reasons behind it were one, that the boys were going to start lusting after her and have impure thoughts about her and that the locker-room talk was not appropriate for a female to hear even though she had a separate locker room from the boys.”
6. The athletic director at Strong Rock released a statement saying the school believed that “middle school girls play girl sports and middle school boys play boy sports.”
7. There is a Change.org petition to reinstate Maddy to the team, and a Facebook page supporting her right to play has amassed over 10,000 likes.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- It's World Aids Day — 35 million people have died from Aids-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›