Ken: How about you start by saying, “Hello”. And maybe not just in the middle of the street. Most people aren’t looking to meet a potential mate in the street, they’re usually trying to go about their lives. But, if you really need this much help here you go : 1. Assess the situation. Are you in a place that people go to meet others? A bar? Coffee shop? Is the person you wish to speak with busy? Is she wearing headphones? Is she walking? If the answer to any of these is yes, pause and consider that your attention may be unwanted.
2. Say hello. Acknowledge that you are speaking to another sentient being.
3. If she responds with what appears to be a happy face ( it usually looks like this :-) ) you know that your greeting was received and further conversation may be appropriate.
4. Continue communication, pepper in compliments as desired, watch the reactions and curb compliments if it appears to be causing a sad reaction (That looks like this : :-( ).
5. If you have successfully navigated this far, don’t expect anything from the person you are communicating with other than continued communication. A conversation doesn’t imply sexual or other desire.
6. Indicate your interest in continuing the communication at a later time, offer a phone number or ask about meeting up again. Remember, they were probably doing something or conversing with people they knew before you walked up. Don’t assume that the first conversation can segue directly into a first date. Hopefully you’ll be able to navigate the VERY difficult world of normal human interaction! Good luck!