1. He collaborates on projects with the daughter of Uzbekistan’s dictator.
Depardieu recorded a song with Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of Uzbekistan’s iron-fisted longtime president Islam Karimov. Karimova, who is launching a pop career as “Googoosha,” is being linked to a telecommunications fraud and corruption scandal currently under investigation by Swiss and Swedish authorities. Depardieu also agreed to play the role of a Byzantine emperor in a series written by Karimova.
3. He bonded with Fidel Castro over pâté.
4. Vladimir Putin personally decreed his Russian citizenship.
Putin, who is not exactly a dictator, signed a decree giving Depardieu Russian citizenship even after Depardieu has purchased a home in Belgium where he still plans to live. Depardieu has appeared in Russian television commercials in the past and Putin seems to call him by his first name. According to Le Monde, Depardieu boasted to his friends that he would be welcomed in Belgium, Montenegro, and Russia, and that Putin had “already sent his passport.”
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›