1. He was once busted with weed in his car in Florida.
Mayor Rob Ford arrives at his office in Toronto Nov. 26, 2012.
Ford freely admitted to the Toronto Sun that he did have marijuana in his car when a Florida police officer pulled him over in 1999 on a vacation with his wife, despite the fact that the charges were dropped against him.
“It was nothing,” Ford said in 2010, the year he was elected mayor of Toronto. “It wasn’t a major issue. There’s more serious things in life.”
2. He ran a reporter out of Toronto’s City Hall for calling him a “fat fuck.”
Ford was a city councillor at the time. “That is a verbal assault!” Ford yelled. “This is a public space! Why did you say that? Why are you running?”
3. He was sort of accused of trying to kidnap his own kids.
Ford’s mother-in-law called the cops in the wee hours of Christmas morning last year to report that a drunk Ford was trying to take his children to Florida without the consent of his wife. The Toronto Star had heard reports of other 911 calls regarding domestic disputes at the Ford home in previous years, as well. The issue of the alleged botched kidnapping was dropped.
4. The special guest at his swearing-in was a hockey commentator who wore an elaborate pink jacket and blasted “left-wing pinkos.”
Don Cherry is a hockey commentator for the CBC known for his outré style. He was also a special guest at Ford’s swearing-in ceremony and put the chain of office around Ford’s neck, something normally done by the city clerk. “I’m wearing pinko for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything. I thought I’d get it in,” Cherry said. “Put that in your pipe, you left-wing kooks.” Ford’s invitation to Cherry came under some criticism.
5. He once accidentally wandered into the Calgary football team’s locker room in search of a bathroom.
“I just wanted to find a washroom,” Ford told the Calgary Herald. “I went to the doors and went through the locker room and that was it.” During the same swing through western Canada, Ford was seen wandering lost through the streets of Edmonton.
6. He was caught reading while driving and fully admitted it.
The CBC transcribed the exchange at a press conference later that day:
Reporter: “Sir, there’s a picture that went out on Twitter this morning of you reading while still driving on the Gardiner [Expressway].”
Ford: “Yeah, probably. I’m busy.”
Reporter: “So you read while driving?”
Ford: “Yeah, probably, yeah. I’m try[ing] to catch up on my work and you know I keep my eyes on the road, but I’m a busy man.”
Reporter: “You don’t see a problem doing that on the Gardiner?”
Ford: “Well, I’m busy. I got to be — I don’t know what that has to do with a trade mission, but anyways. Ridiculous questions sometimes, seriously.”
7. A fake reporter from a Canadian comedy show successfully punked him.
Ford was not pleased to see the character Marg Delahunty from comedy show This Hour is 22 Minutes, who approached him outside his house wearing a Xena: Warrior Princess outfit.
8. He’s vowing to fight “tooth and nail” to keep his office.
Ford was ejected from his post Monday after a judge ruled that he had broken conflict-of-interest laws by using city resources to fund-raise for his football charity.
“This comes down to left-wing politics. The left wing wants me out of here and they’ll doing anything in their power to,” Ford told reporters on Monday. “And I’m going to fight tooth and nail to hold on to my job. If they do for some reason get me out I’ll be running again whenever the next election is, if there’s a by-election. My name will be the first one on the ballot.”
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- athenay thinks 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... is Fail
- sharpasabutterknife 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... and thinks it’s Ew, Trashy & Fail
- gunnarolla thinks 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... is Win
- billpostmus 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... and thinks it’s Fail
- Doug L thinks 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... is LOL
- ecochic 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... and thinks it’s Fail
- vicisnice thinks 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... is LOL & Fail
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There is the time (as a Councillor) he attended a hockey game and became so drunk he verbally assaulted a couple and had to be removed from the arena. He then lied about it for a few days, then finally admitted it. However, it was one of the few times he’s taken responsibility for his actions - he usually blames others (often the “left-wing urban elitists”). For a complete run-down of the shit he’s done: http://shitrobfordsdone.tumblr.com/
- bobbya3 thinks 8 Things To Know About Rob Ford, Toro... is Fail
He didn’t exactly “freely admit” the marijuana possession charge… what happened is that he was pulled over and arrested for DUI (!) and they found a joint in his back pocket. When asked about the DUI by reporters he lied and said it never happened. When presented with evidence of it he admitted that it happened, but lied about the possession charge. Eventually he said the pot charge had “completely slipped [his] mind” and fessed up. What a sack of shit.