1. You’re no longer a sad panda
Work performance may be improved by as much as 10 percent by providing superior indoor environmental quality. **
2. You’re never quite sure who LEED is and where he works
In a survey of more than 2,000 tenants who moved to 154 LEED or Energy Star buildings, 55% of responses agreed that employees were more productive.
3. Daylighting means your sunscreen budget has gone through the roof
One study shows that a half-hour exposure to bright daylight by sitting adjacent to windows reduced afternoon sleepiness in healthy adult subjects. The study also found that daylight was almost as effective as a short nap in reducing normal post lunchtime drowsiness and increasing alertness.
4. “Is this compostable?” becomes your most frequently asked internal question
5. Using up those sick days becomes a challenge
A study of 31 green buildings from the City of Seattle found absenteeism reduced by 40 percent. You just feel so great. All. The. Time.
6. Your mood drops considerably every time you walk into a building that isn’t green
A large scale survey of office workers during the winter in Sweden shows that mood and vitality were enhanced in healthy people with higher levels of exposure to bright daylight.
7. A prime bike rack space is the new “employee of the month parking spot”
8. Your boss is always making it rain with all that cash he’s saving on his bottom line
Rocky Mountain Institute’s deep retrofit work on the Empire State Building created energy savings of $4.4 million per year.
9. You feel great – you’re single handedly saving the environment (okay, maybe not single-handedly)
RMI’s report Calculating Deep Retrofit Value explains how conducting deep retrofit can reduce a building’s energy consumption by as much as 50 percent.
For more on how sustainable buildings can help ease the effects of climate change, watch Rocky Mountain Institute’s video, “A Tale of Two Futures: Sustainable Buildings or Climate Catastrophe.”
** All sourcing information via RMI’s report, Deep Retrofit Value for Owner Occupants
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›
- SAB Miller has accepted "in principle" a takeover offer from Anheuser-Busch InBev, which would create the world's largest beer company. ›