1. Many people in the UK stayed up to watch the election results roll in overnight.
2. Although some were more into it than others…
3. UKIP ended up topping the UK poll, winning 24 MEPS.
Labour finished in second place and is expected to gain around seven MEPs. The Conservatives came third, and is expected to lose seven MEPS, reducing it to just 19 MEPs. The Liberal Democrats finished the night with just one MEP.
The Green Party finished fourth. The BNP lost both its seats.
4. Twitter did not take this news well.
11. Some people displayed their rage at Nigel Farage.
14. Including the inevitable comparisons.
17. Then there were those who predicted doom.
21. Those who blamed voter apathy for the party’s win.
24. Those who took the opposing view.
25. And those who tried to put the news into perspective.
26. But there was one outcome pretty much everyone agreed was a good thing: BNP leader Nick Griffin lost his seat.
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›