1. When Guardian US columnist Jessica Valenti tweeted an innocuous question about subsidised tampons, she probably wasn’t expecting a torrent of furious abuse in reply.
Nevertheless, that’s exactly what happened. For the next 24 hours Valenti received a stream of vitriol criticising her appearance, her anatomy and her politics. Many were recommending that she get a real job, a hysterectomy, or married so that her husband could pay for her tampons (“as long as your [sic] putting out”).
However, Valenti did not reference any of this in her original tweet. All she asked was:
“Anyone know a country where tampons are free or somehow subsidized?”
2. We have contacted Valenti for comment. In the meantime, here is the whole sorry tale as Storified by Valenti herself:
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for two teenagers who went missing a week ago off the coast of Florida.
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.