1. When Guardian US columnist Jessica Valenti tweeted an innocuous question about subsidised tampons, she probably wasn’t expecting a torrent of furious abuse in reply.
Nevertheless, that’s exactly what happened. For the next 24 hours Valenti received a stream of vitriol criticising her appearance, her anatomy and her politics. Many were recommending that she get a real job, a hysterectomy, or married so that her husband could pay for her tampons (“as long as your [sic] putting out”).
However, Valenti did not reference any of this in her original tweet. All she asked was:
“Anyone know a country where tampons are free or somehow subsidized?”
2. We have contacted Valenti for comment. In the meantime, here is the whole sorry tale as Storified by Valenti herself:
- At least 13 people were killed after severe storms and flooding hit the French Riviera on Saturday evening. At least six more are missing. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 19 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›