1. 1. The food. Oh God. The food.
Can we just take a moment to celebrate the deliciousness of the Michigan cuisine that comes in so many forms?
2. 2. Being able to use your hands as maps to point out where you live.
This seriously never gets old.
3. 3. Biggby Coffee
If one could have an IV drip of one of Biggby’s glorious caffeinated drinks all would be right with the world.
4. 4. Summers spent “up north”.
Is there anywhere else better to spend the summer?
The answer: no.
5. 5. Mackinac Island.
Dat bridge, tho.
6. 6. The beauty of autumn in Michigan.
Why do other states even try with their mediocre foliage?
7. 7. An annual trip to a local cider mill for apple picking, cider, donuts, and pumpkins.
If you cut Michiganders’ wrists they would bleed apple cider in the fall. That’s how real fall gets for us.
8. 8. Tiger games at Comerica Park.
Summer just isn’t the same without Michigan baseball.
9. 9. The icecream.
Blue Moon. Superman. Mackinac Island Fudge. Moose Tracks. Let’s all just agree Michigan has the best ice cream.
10. 10. The glory of grocery shopping at Meijer.
And seeing everyone you know there on the weekends.
11. 11. Having access to over 11,000 lakes to choose from.
And usually being only 20 minutes from a lake at any given time - a true privilege one doesn’t realize until moving away.
12. 12. Cheering on the Lions every Thanksgiving.
Even though you know they’re probably going to lose.
13. 13. Enjoying the first snow fall.
When winter actually seems like a magical time of year.
14. 14. Star gazing in the U.P.
When you’re reminded how nice it is to not live in a metropolitan area.
15. 15. The inspiring views.
Is every other state jealous of our natural beauty orrr?
16. 16. Drinking Vernors when you’re sick.
5 out of 5 doctors recommend a glass of Vernors to cure all flus and colds. Probably.
17. 17. Identifying someone else as a Yooper or a Troll.
Guilty Troll right here. :)
18. 18. The quirky roadside attractions.
Keep it weird, Michigan. <3 you.
19. 19. The glorious time of year when Oberon is released.
The true sign Spring has arrived.
20. 20. The beauty of the Northern Lights on a clear night.
Northern Michigan has the best views
22. 22. And sunsets.
23. 23. Sleeping Bear Dunes.
The Midwest mecca of peace and relaxation.
24. 24. Grabbing a couple delicious coney dogs at a local Coney Island.
A staple in any lower Michigan resident’s diet.
25. 25. The little taste of Bavaria you can find in Frankenmuth.
The one place in Michigan where you feel like you’re stepping back in time.
26. 26. And of course the awe inspiring Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland.
No Christmas season feels complete without a stop here.
27. 27. NASCAR.
But of course absolutely hating living in Brooklyn during the race weekend.
28. 28. Taking back cans and bottles.
Where one can accumulate a small fortune with enough drinking of booze or soft drinks.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›