1. Having the exact same conversation with every person you meet.
“Where are you from?” “Where are you going?” “How long are you here?” “What’s the WIFI password?” Of course it’s awesome meeting new people on the road but it gets tiresome having the exact same convo with everyone you meet.
2. Feeling like you have to be social all the time at your hostel.
Sometimes you actually don’t want to play another game of foosball.
3. The utter annoyance of hearing someone brag about how many passport stamps they’ve collected.
Literally, no one cares.
4. Becoming besties with someone to only see them leave 2 days later.
5. Sleeping in dorm rooms.
Sure, hostels are way cheaper than hotels and a great way to save money and meet people but let’s be honest - sleeping in bunk beds as an adult sucks.
6. The soul crushing disappointment when you realize there’s no free breakfast left at your hostel.
It’s so sad.
7. Know it all backpackers who want to tell you why where you’ve been or where you’re going sucks.
Seriously, shut up.
8. Wanting to shut it down every time you hear a second year university student having a conversation about how enlightened they are now that they’ve traveled.
9. Running out of passport pages.
Especially if you’re about to head to another country.
10. Other people having sex in the same dorm room as you.
Please chalk up the extra 10 or so dollars to get a private room or go somewhere else, thx.
11. Witnessing groups of fellow travelers be complete asshats.
Please stop acting a damn fool. You’re embarrassing the rest of us.
12. The thrill and eventual sadness that comes from having short lived romances on the road.
Expiration dating is the worst.
13. You only know what day of the week it is because of the social calendar at your hostel or the daily deals at a local bar.
14. When you’ve overindulged in the incredible local cuisine and realize your pants are getting tight.
The struggle is real.
15. Meeting up with a Couchsurfer and secretly wondering if they’re going to murder you.
Then realizing after 10 minutes they’re super cool.
16. Having another backpacker criticize the way you travel.
There isn’t a right way to travel and there’s no medal for being the best traveler to have ever traveled.
17. Finding something gross or unrecognizable in the hostel kitchen or bathroom.
Oh hale no.
18. Seeing the word FREE and doing anything and everything to get it no matter what it is.
Free pancake breakfast. Free Spanish lesson. GIVE ME ALL OF THE FREE THINGS.
19. Not being able to enjoy reading most travel magazines or sites because they usually only recommend things you can’t afford.
How am I supposed to afford a 5 star villa in Italy when I am a poor?