4. For so many, many reasons.
14. August has no holidays. None. 0. Ziltch. Nada.
January has New Year’s Day, of course; February has Valentine’s Day; March has St. Patrick’s Day; April usually has Easter; May, Mother’s Day; June, Father’s Day; July, Independence Day; September, Labor Day; October, Halloween; November, Thanksgiving; and December brings us Christmas and Hannukah.
As you see, each month has something to observe; a day or season to look forward to.
16. Then there’s August, which brings us…
21. Wait for it…
23. It’s cheese from goats. All. Month. Long.
25. Historically August is a terrible month.
27. President Lincoln signed the first income tax into law in August of 1861
In fact, the law is ACTUALLY called the “Act of August 5, 1861.”
32. The Guadalcanal Campaign began on August 7, 1942
33. August 2, 1964 gave us the Tonkin Incident which lead the US to Vietnam
39. Even sports are awful during August.
40. Baseball is going through the motions till the World Series in 2 months.
41. The NFL is fielding third string players.
But charging top dollar for pre-season games.
43. Even birds have enough sense to leave August behind.
That’s when they begin their southern migration.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Britain is set to increase the number of refugees being let into the country. The extra people aren't in Europe already, they will likely come from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›