4. For so many, many reasons.
14. August has no holidays. None. 0. Ziltch. Nada.
January has New Year’s Day, of course; February has Valentine’s Day; March has St. Patrick’s Day; April usually has Easter; May, Mother’s Day; June, Father’s Day; July, Independence Day; September, Labor Day; October, Halloween; November, Thanksgiving; and December brings us Christmas and Hannukah.
As you see, each month has something to observe; a day or season to look forward to.
16. Then there’s August, which brings us…
21. Wait for it…
23. It’s cheese from goats. All. Month. Long.
25. Historically August is a terrible month.
26. Vesuvius erupted on August 24, 49 AD, killing 20,000.
27. President Lincoln signed the first income tax into law in August of 1861
In fact, the law is ACTUALLY called the “Act of August 5, 1861.”
32. The Guadalcanal Campaign began on August 7, 1942
33. August 2, 1964 gave us the Tonkin Incident which lead the US to Vietnam
39. Even sports are awful during August.
40. Baseball is going through the motions till the World Series in 2 months.
41. The NFL is fielding third string players.
But charging top dollar for pre-season games.
43. Even birds have enough sense to leave August behind.
That’s when they begin their southern migration.
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›