4. For so many, many reasons.
14. August has no holidays. None. 0. Ziltch. Nada.
January has New Year’s Day, of course; February has Valentine’s Day; March has St. Patrick’s Day; April usually has Easter; May, Mother’s Day; June, Father’s Day; July, Independence Day; September, Labor Day; October, Halloween; November, Thanksgiving; and December brings us Christmas and Hannukah.
As you see, each month has something to observe; a day or season to look forward to.
16. Then there’s August, which brings us…
21. Wait for it…
23. It’s cheese from goats. All. Month. Long.
25. Historically August is a terrible month.
27. President Lincoln signed the first income tax into law in August of 1861
In fact, the law is ACTUALLY called the “Act of August 5, 1861.”
32. The Guadalcanal Campaign began on August 7, 1942
33. August 2, 1964 gave us the Tonkin Incident which lead the US to Vietnam
39. Even sports are awful during August.
40. Baseball is going through the motions till the World Series in 2 months.
41. The NFL is fielding third string players.
But charging top dollar for pre-season games.
43. Even birds have enough sense to leave August behind.
That’s when they begin their southern migration.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- The U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, has voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.