4. For so many, many reasons.
14. August has no holidays. None. 0. Ziltch. Nada.
January has New Year’s Day, of course; February has Valentine’s Day; March has St. Patrick’s Day; April usually has Easter; May, Mother’s Day; June, Father’s Day; July, Independence Day; September, Labor Day; October, Halloween; November, Thanksgiving; and December brings us Christmas and Hannukah.
As you see, each month has something to observe; a day or season to look forward to.
16. Then there’s August, which brings us…
21. Wait for it…
23. It’s cheese from goats. All. Month. Long.
25. Historically August is a terrible month.
27. President Lincoln signed the first income tax into law in August of 1861
In fact, the law is ACTUALLY called the “Act of August 5, 1861.”
32. The Guadalcanal Campaign began on August 7, 1942
33. August 2, 1964 gave us the Tonkin Incident which lead the US to Vietnam
39. Even sports are awful during August.
40. Baseball is going through the motions till the World Series in 2 months.
41. The NFL is fielding third string players.
But charging top dollar for pre-season games.
43. Even birds have enough sense to leave August behind.
That’s when they begin their southern migration.
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- New York's attorney general has opened an investigation into two popular fantasy sports websites, after employees allegedly used insider information to profit. ›