1. James Barney Jr. is not your average nine-year-old boy.
Here he is revealing how he fought off an attack by an alligator while swimming in East Lake Tohopekaliga in Florida last week.
2. Speaking to members of the press from his bed in Arnold Palmer Hospital, in Orlando, James said at first he thought it was just someone playing with him.
3. He said:
I reached down to grab it and I felt its jaw, its teeth and I didn’t know what to do so I immediately reacted and hit it a couple of times.
It then let go a little, finally I had enough strength left to pry its jaw open a little and it was slipping and that’s how I got the scratches.
Then it finally let go and I swam to shore while yelling ‘help’ and finally some people came over and pulled me in.
4. James was left with 30 scratches and teeth marks.
Dr Ross Morgan from the hospital said: “The alligator bit him several times it looked like it was trying to get a hold of him, so it bit his leg, backside, abdomen, 30 different teeth marks of varying degrees. And scratch marks of claws.”
James revealed that when doctors removed a tooth from his body he said: “Ohh I want to put it on a necklace so than I can tell all my friends.”
5. When asked if he would be going swimming in the lake again, he replied simply: “Negative.”
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›