1. A video in which three students from Offenburg in Germany helped a homeless man raise some money has now received almost 10 million views.
2. The clip was created by a group called Be Japy, who are hoping to make the world a better place by encouraging donations to numerous causes.
5. In the clip one of the students is seen asking a homeless man for a bucket he has with him.
9. After placing a hat out for donations, the group then begin to start collecting money for the homeless man.
10. While their efforts are for a noble cause and help highlight an important issue, the group began to receive some negative feedback after it was revealed the homeless man in the video was actually an actor.
17. Writing in the YouTube description, the students said: “We could not believe how much of you have analysed this video in the last view days. There was a lot of praise, but also a lot of critical voices making a particular sore point.”
“In May of this year, we performed like this with more songs and WITHOUT a camera. We liked the message of what we were doing so we decided to turn it into a video in order to encourage others to possibly do the same.
“Before filming we asked ourselves the following question: Can we simply film a person in distress and put it up on the internet, without asking them or knowing their history? Our answer is quite clearly no, which is why we have hired an actor to take on this role.”