1. England took on Uruguay in a crucial Group D clash at the World Cup on Thursday evening.
Richard Heathcote / Getty
2. Millions of people in England watched the match in Sao Paulo hoping Roy Hodgson’s side could bounce back from their opening defeat to Italy.
3. The game also attracted plenty of celebrity viewers, including a certain Rihanna. And her commentary on Twitter proved to be the highlight of a rather depressing game.
Stephen Dunn / Getty
4. She started off with a pretty rousing team speech, challenging England to rise to the occasion.
5. However, it became pretty obvious early on that Uruguay had very much upped their game following their 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica, while England were a shadow of the team that gave Italy a tough fight.
6. Inevitably Luis Suarez scored and put Uruguay ahead at half time, but then something miraculous happened. England scored.
Matthias Hangst / Getty
8. But then it happened. We all knew it was going to happen.
9. Suarez scored his second.
Julian Finney / Getty
11. To be fair, England’s strike force wasn’t really causing them many problems.
12. Earlier in the week Rihanna also provided a bit of analysis on Holland’s 3-2 win against Australia.
13. And tried to console Ronaldo after Germany thrashed Portugal 4-0.
Richard James is the UK news editor for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
In The News Today
- The U.S. Army says it's removing restrictions on women attending Ranger School. Two soldiers became the first women to graduate from the school last month. ›