1. Three-year-old Karina Chikitova was rescued after spending almost two weeks in a Siberian forest.
The young girl survived in the Sakha Republic by eating wild berries and drinking river water, the Siberian Times reported.
2. It is claimed she was eventually found after her puppy returned home to the village of Olom in Olyokminsky district.
Apparently the dog, which had been by her side for nine days, showed the rescuers the area of thick grass where the young girl had been living for 11 days.
3. Chikitova had allegedly attempted to follow her father, who was unaware of her actions, out of the village last month.
She then became lost and was forced to find shelter in the long grass. The area is said to be known for wild bears and wolves.
4. Her decision to do so then made it impossible for rescue crews, on foot and from the air, to initially find her.
5. Afanasiy Nikolayev, spokesman for the Sakha Republic Rescue Service, told the Siberian Times: “We began searches, thinking that if she had lost her shoes she would try and stay away from the deep forest, because there is a lot of sharp sticks there.”
“In the morning, almost right after we began searches - we only made 20 metres - we saw Karina sitting in the grass. We rushed to her, got her a little tea and grabbed her to run back to the car and doctors.”
7. “I carried Karina myself to the car, and she was light as a bird. She was hardly ten kilograms - but amazingly she was fully conscious.”
8. The young girl was taken to hospital but is not believed to have suffered any serious injuries and doctors are now helping her regain her strength.
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›