1. Jamie Kelly says he really hit it off with a girl named Katie during a Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Dublin last week.
The pair apparently chatted for the entire flight. The 24-year-old from Galway was hoping to get her phone number afterwards, but they became separated at customs.
All Kelly knew was her first name and the fact she was from Nova Scotia in Canada.
2. So to try and find his lost love, Kelly and his friends started a social media campaign in the hope of tracking her down.
3. Using the hashtags #findkate and #loveatfirstflight they hoped Twitter users might be able to help. Kelly even spoke on Ireland’s TodayFM about his mission.
5. He told presenter Ray D’Arcy:
We walked from the plane into the terminal together and stayed talking until we reached the passport control. She went to follow me through the EU only lane but I pointed her towards the non-EU resident’s line.
I waited outside the passport control for her for about 10 minutes.
See, I was so engrossed during the flight and being the gentleman that I am, I didn’t want to go to the toilet in front of this beautiful girl so I used the time I had at the passport control to nip to the loo.
I came back out, waited for another few minutes – no sign.
8. Katie turned out to be Katie Moreau of Riverport, and a member of her family got in contact with one of Kelly’s friends to try and put the two of them in contact.
Canada’s CBC News then managed to track down Moreau and tell her the good news.
9. Responding in an email, Moreau said:
“I was obviously very surprised and flattered.
When I was on the plane I talked to him incessantly because I had just been travelling for two months in Italy and Spain and it was just so nice to be around English speaking people, plus I’m a talker.
We had lots in common, plus he was very easy on the eyes.
10. She added: “I never thought I would ever see him again, so what a surprise after a couple of pints to log on to Facebook to all these message.”
Moreau said she had tried to find Kelly after passing through passport control but didn’t want to seem desperate.
“I suppose, in hindsight, looking a bit longer wouldn’t seem as desperate in comparison,” she told CBC.