1. Jessie Ware, British heroine of downtempo pop and R&B, released a new single today and it’s maybe the most ambitious of her career.
2. Called “Say You Love Me,” the song is timeless and elegant like Jessie herself. But it has a swelling, gospel-inspired, sing-from-the-mountain-tops grandeur that recalls Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson’s big-hearted, unironic ballads from the ’90s.
4. “Say You Love Me” was co-written by Ed Sheeran and produced by BenZel — the new tag-team of super producer Benny Blanco and Sam Smith-collaborator Two Inch Punch — who also helmed Ware’s previous single, the shimmering, understated “Tough Love.”
5. You can get Jessie’s sophomore album, Tough Love, on October 6. Clearly that date can’t come soon enough.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The Taliban has appointed Mullah Akhtar Mansour as its new Afghan leader.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Uber drivers near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour on Wednesday. Local authorities are investigating.