1. In the last year, a slew of gruesome rape cases have received widespread media attention in India.
2. As reports and coverage of sexual assault increase, so does the trend of victim-blaming.
3. In response, comedians Gursimran Khamba, Rohan Joshi, Tanmay Bhat and Ashish Shakya released this video:
Starring Bollywood actress Kalki Koechlin and Channel V anchor Juhi Pandey.
5. And they touch on the widespread but rarely talked about issue of marital rape.
They go on to ridicule specific comments made by Indian politicians and media personalities, as well as reference the failings of Indian law enforcement officials in responding to cases of sexual assault.
6. According to its creators, the video was made to show that “[Indian men are] not all idiots; a lot of us are on your side.”
Rohan Joshi, one of the stand-up comics of All India Bakchod, spoke to BuzzFeed about why a comedy collective famous for its political incorrectness decided to address rape.
He said in an email: “We want to contribute positively to the conversation about the subject. We hope it makes some people feel like idiots, and we also hope it tells women that we’re not all idiots; a lot of us are on your side, and will always be vocal about it.”
Joshi believes that the video will reach “people like us” who “deep down have really messed up attitudes towards women.” He said, “If every 10 shares or viewings reaches even one of them, and makes them re-examine that sort of stupidity, mission accomplished.”
He also said the video was also directed at “a lot of women who don’t know that they don’t need to take this sort of shit from anybody.”