1. So, ICYMI: India is nearing the end of its general elections, which have been remarkable for a lot of reasons.
• They were the hugest democratic elections of all time, with over 800 million eligible voters.
• They were revolutionary for India, in terms of youth participation and the use of social media in politics.
• They’ve brought women and gender issues to the mainstream political conversation.
• They will determine the Prime Minister and ruling party for India for the next 5 years, therefore arguably being one of the most pivotal political moments for the world today.
2. These elections have also been particularly interesting because of the candidates, who are incredibly divisive.
Left: Rahul Gandhi, a notoriously unintelligent political heir, who almost certainly won’t win.
Right: Narendra Modi, a Hindu fundamentalist, who probably will.