1. Due to skyrocketing interest rates on loans and unpredictable weather patterns, Indian farmers have been under immense stress for the last few decades.
2. Another often cited cause for farmers’ duress is the inability to compete with foreign genetically modified crops/seeds.
3. Reportedly, several thousand farmers commit suicide every year, at a rate of 45 per day.
For the last decade, over 15,000 farmers have taken their lives every year. Around 17% of them are women. More statistics here.
4. In a push to raise awareness and support for the farming community, the Times of India just released a harrowing video depicting a farmers’ family struggling to make ends meet after his suicide.
5. In the video, a single mother is driven mad by the burden of feeding children and family elders without a source of income.
6. And ultimately asks her children for forgiveness before resorting to a drastic measure to “save” her family.
7. The video closes with this chilling shot…
8. And a plea for help.
9. Watch “The Farmer’s Family” in full here:
Click here to help.