#UMN alert: person possibly armed seen in Anderson Hall. Please shelter in a safe place until additional information is available.
1. The University of Minnesota sent out a text alert and tweet warning people there may have been a person armed with a gun in the school’s Anderson Hall.
4. The school said the gunman appeared to be associated with an attempted robbery.
6. Local news outlet KARE reported that the suspect was attempting to steal a laptop and then fled.
9. Reports of exactly where the suspect was were mixed.
14. The school updated their website’s alert around 5 p.m. ET:
“This afternoon, an attempted armed robbery of a student occurred in Anderson Hall on the University of Minnesota’s West Bank campus. The suspect displayed a gun in an attempt to steal a laptop. The suspect then fled and is currently at large. He is described as an African American male, approximately age 20, six feet tall, wearing a black puffy hooded jacket. Police are currently searching for the suspect. People are asked to call 911 if the suspect is seen. Those on the West Bank campus should shelter in place until further notice.”
15. Around 5:10 p.m., the school lifted its lockdown, saying the search of the campus’ West Bank was over.
“search of West Bank complete. No further need to take shelter. This was an attempted robbery - no shooting occurred.”