1. Police are investigating a McDonald’s in Ottumwa, Iowa, after a couple claims their cheeseburgers were topped off with an unusual garnish: marijuana.
2. A man reported the incident after buying a McDouble for his pregnant fiancé, KCCI reports.
3. The couple bought the cheeseburgers late last month at the fast food joint’s drive-thru around 8:15 p.m. After taking a bite, they noticed the substance, which “smelled and looked like marijuana.”
After going to the restaurant’s management, the couple then called the police.
4. “I’ve seen a lot of stuff, but never something like this,” Lt. Jason Bell of the Ottumwa Police Department said. “I really haven’t had a lot of investigations where I’ve focused so much on cheeseburgers.”
5. Bell said the mysterious substance, which the customer told police was nestled between the buns of the burger, “appears to be consistent with marijuana.”
A sample of the substance was sent to the Division of Criminal Investigation to be analyzed.
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who was accused of helping inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.