1. Let’s be clear: There is absolutely nothing wrong with your traditional, all-American pig in a blanket.
NOTHING wrong. Less than nothing wrong. Look at those little wrinkly-faced franks, snuggled up in their golden pastry comforters! How could they possibly be better? Get the classic recipe here.
BUT! But. That’s not to say that P.I.A.B., like most of the perfect snacks known to mankind, can’t benefit from some judicious experimentation.
For instance: Switch up the in-blanket fillings…
2. Cheddar & Caramelized Onion Pigs in a Blanket
3. Chili Cheese Pigs in a Blanket
You probably wouldn’t call this the tidiest possible variant, but let’s remember what’s really important here: CHEESE. Get the recipe.
…or be bold with the above-blanket toppings…
The blanket is not sacrosanct. Crescent roll dough is traditional, but there are so many other viable options.
6. Pigs in Spicy Blankets
7. Pizza Pigs in a Blanket
Pizza dough is just as easy as crescent roll, and arguably more delicious. Get the recipe.
8. Mini Pretzel Dogs
Homemade pretzel dough is easier than you think (and very much worthwhile). Get the recipe.
Needless to say, your dip options can and should go far beyond ketchup and mustard.
Even the central pig itself is worth tinkering with.
11. Clucks in a Biscuit
Clucks! Because it’s chicken sausages! Get it!? Get the recipe.
12. Hogs in a Blanket
This fancy-wancy version is made with slices of spicy andouille sausage. Get the recipe.
13. Biscuit-Wrapped Fried Chicken
Everything about this should be self-explanatory. Get the recipe.
P.I.A.B. should be enjoyed at any and all times of day, not just during cocktail hour.
And, heresy though it may seem, consider providing alternative blanket snacks for those who prefer to skip the pig part.
16. Carrots in a Blanket
These carrots are deep fried before being blanketed, which, though always a compelling option, can get a little messy. Roasting them should work equally well. Get the recipe.
18. Green Beans in a Blanket
Before you start to complain about this, consider the joy these green beans must be feeling right now. Get the recipe.
19. Jalapeño Poppers in a Blanket
Unclear why blankets aren’t mandatory for all jalapeño poppers. Get the recipe.
There is one — and only one — absolute rule of blanket snacks.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?