1. There have been 55 million abortions in the USA since Roe v. Wade.
2. A staggering 41% of all New York City pregnancies end in abortion.
And 64% of New Yorkers think that’s too high.
3. Abortion is legal through all nine months of pregnancy.
Most people don’t realize it, but abortion is legal through the entirety of a woman’s pregnancy. Greg Koukl explains it this way:
“In Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court struck down a Texas statute that prohibited abortion. In the decision, the Supreme Court said states may not prohibit abortion in any way in the first trimester, that they may only regulate abortion in the second trimester for the purpose of protecting maternal health, and that in the third trimester, the state may “regulate, and even proscribe, abortion” except when it is necessary to protect the life and health of the mother. That last phrase is the most important phrase, however, because the Court defined health in Doe v. Bolton (Roe’s companion case) to include “all factors - physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman’s age - relevant to the wellbeing of the patient.” Chief Justice Burger added that the definition of health used must be “in its broadest medical context.”
The end result is that any reason given for abortion can be construed as a health risk to the mother and therefore abortion in the third trimester is easily justified in practice. In so many words, the court decided that states could not prohibit abortion in any significant way up until the moment of birth. Not only is this the opinion of many legal scholars (references available on request) but is the fact of the matter in America today. Roe v. Wade was reaffirmed in this holding (although with a new grounding) in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992. Under those decisions, many abortion providers advertise third trimester abortions for fetal abnormalities. Dr. Hern is one with a prominent internet presence who does abortion long after fetal viability, acknowledging he can only perform abortion if continuing the pregnancy will be adverse to the mother’s health. What definition of health? Undoubtedly, the definition found in Doe v. Bolton.”
Here’s Dr. Hern advertising legal, third-trimester abortions after 26 weeks. To learn more about third-trimester abortion in America, please read this!
4. Babies born alive are sometimes killed in botched abortions.
Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell was charged with killing seven babies that were born alive, but witnesses claim that he actually slaughtered hundreds “of living, breathing newborn children by severing their spinal cords or slitting their necks.”
5. Some abortion clinics sell aborted baby parts to medical researchers.
Yes. A trade in human body parts from abortion.
6. Planned Parenthood performs more than 330,000 abortions annually
Abortion is Planned Parenthood’s cash cow. They love to say it’s only 3% of their services (which is misleading, since they unbundle the services to each customer), but abortion accounts for more than 50% of their clinic revenue.
7. Komen gives $700,000 per year to Planned Parenthood
Komen gives $700,000 per year to Planned Parenthood (the leading abortion provider in the USA with 330,000 abortions per year) even though abortion is the #1 preventable cause of Breast Cancer. Among 7 risk factors, abortion is “best predictor of breast cancer.” When Colorado Right to Life asked, “Why aren’t women being told about the most preventable risk factor?” Komen’s Brandorff answered, “We tend to focus on the cure… we’re focusing our energies on that, rather than the preventative.”
Planned Parenthood doesn’t even do mammogram testing. Of the breast exams that Planned Parenthood actually does perform, only about 4% are funded by Komen.
8. Margaret Sanger said, “The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it.”
9. Josef Mengele, NAZI doctor at Auschwitz, later became an abortionist.
Did you know that Josef Mengele, known for committing horrible crimes of human experimentation for the NAZIs, was later an abortionist in South America?
10. If abortion is factored into causes of death, it becomes the leading cause of death in the African-American community.
According to Dr. Clenard Childress, approximately 52% of all African-American pregnancies now end in abortion.
11. Eagle eggs enjoy more legal protection than unborn human beings.
12. Around 93% of babies prenatally diagnosed with Down’s Syndrome are aborted.
Yet our society celebrates the Special Olympics and cheers on the competitors, speaking of the joy and inspiration they bring us. Why the cognitive dissonance?
Persons with disabilities deserve to be loved and protected both inside AND outside the womb.
14. The word “fetus” just means “offspring.”
People will say “It’s just a fetus—it’s not like it’s a person!” to dehumanize the child in the womb. What they don’t realize is fetus is Latin for “offspring.” It has Indo-European roots related to sucking or suckling, from the Aryan prefix bheu-, meaning “To come into being.” It’s just a designation of the stage of development of a human being, like infant, toddler, adolescent, or adult. Whoops!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›