1. If you think of LL Cool J now, you might think of him as the guy who has hosted the past two Grammy Awards ceremonies…
2. Or as one of the stars of the enormously popular CBS series NCIS: Los Angeles.
Seriously, this show is gigantic. In its current season, it averages about 17.9 million viewers per episode.
5. He was a pioneer of hip-hop, and one of the first rappers to appear on national television.
9. LL hit his stride in the late ’80s with a string of amazing singles that showcased his arrogant alpha male charisma. Like “I’m Bad”…
10. … or this cuckolding anthem…
11. …this deadpan ode to butts.
12. He reached his pinnacle in 1990 with Mama Said Knock You Out.
13. Have you heard the title track recently? It’s one of most alpha songs in the history of music, just pure blunt force, aggression, and adrenaline.
15. LL performed “Mama Said…” live on MTV Unplugged and it was one of the best things in the long history of that show. It’s somehow even more intense when you can watch him prowling the stage like he’s Muhammed Ali.
This was the first acoustic rap performance to ever air on television, by the way.
16. He could go hard, but he was also a pioneer of rap ballads. The same album gave us the incredibly smooth “Around the Way Girl.”
17. He had a lot more competition in the early ’90s, as rap grew and became a huge force in the mainstream, but he kept knocking out hits, like the immortal “Doin’ It.”
18. He also teamed up with Method Man, Redman, and DMX for “4, 3, 2, 1” in 1997. They were all in their prime, but he more than held his own.
19. It’s safe to say that LL has fallen off in the past decade of his career, but it’s not as if he’s been putting out total junk. And besides, his early career set expectations sky high.
And, like, if you compare him to other rappers of his generation, who else can really say they have a similar track record?
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑