“Triumphant (Get ‘Em),” the first single from Mariah Carey’s first new album in two years, is a pretty big disappointment if you come to Mariah Carey songs hoping to hear, well, Mariah Carey. The singer is relegated to hook girl status in her own comeback single, and spends the first half of the tune cooing in the background while Rick Ross and Meek Mill deliver so-so verses. Bleh. Aside from the tepid inspirational lyrics about “reaching for the stars” tying into Carey’s new gig as an American Idol judge, it’s hard to grasp why this was chosen as a lead single. Wouldn’t it be better if she returned with something more like Adele? This sounds like it’s been hanging around in the back of her closet since 2008.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- shell52383 Mariah Carey Hidden Somewhere In &quo...
- ak4d7 thinks Mariah Carey Hidden Somewhere In &quo... is WTF
- moeb2 thinks Mariah Carey Hidden Somewhere In &quo... is Fail
Not sure I’d call this a “comeback” single. MJ released an album roughly every three years, and he wasn’t “coming back” w/ each one. IMO, you don’t “come back” unless a) you’ve been completely off the radar for over 6 years, or b) you’re rebranding yourself after a PR mess and/or illness of some sort.
- Matthew Perpetua thinks Mariah Carey Hidden Somewhere In &quo... is Fail
- Stacy Lambe thinks Mariah Carey Hidden Somewhere In &quo... is Vom, Trashy & Fail