1. Getting caught singing or dancing along to a song in public.
2. Being called a hipster for liking anything even slightly obscure.
“I mean, yeah, I like Arcade Fire…”
3. Finding out you’ve been singing the wrong lyrics to a song for years.
“IT’S NOT FAIIIIR TO DENY ME OF THE CROSS-EYED BEAR THAT YOU GAVE TO ME…”
4. Playing a song around your family or little kids and realizing that it’s waaaay dirtier than you thought.
5. Trying to get into something — like free jazz, let’s say — because you want to feel cool and sophisticated, but it doesn’t take and you just feel dumb.
6. Making a clever joke or reference to a song that you think is hilarious, but no one gets it and they just think you’re a weirdo.
You: “[Hilarious in-joke only an obsessive Pavement fan would understand], hahaahahaha!”
Totally normal person: *glassy stare*
7. Being waaaaay too eager to correct people when they get a fact about a song or an artist wrong in casual conversation.
8. And then there are the times where you correct someone, but you’re actually totally wrong and you get called out for it.
9. Really, any time you have to pretend that your taste is a lot more sophisticated and obscure than it really is.
But you can always pull a “Oh, but I only really like their early work” and hope they don’t question it.
10. Mentioning an artist you love to someone you’re really into and having them be like, “Ah, yeah, I was never a fan.”
11. Trying to explain why you love an artist or a song to your totally mystified parents.
12. Remembering random facts about bands and not being able to keep them to yourself.
You: “Oh, yeah, the drummer for this band used to be in Slint!”
Everyone else: “Literally no one cares.”
13. Discovering that a song you’ve loved for years is not by the artist you assumed it was by.
14. Learning that your headphones are way louder than you thought and everyone around you could hear what you were listening to.
And it’s somehow always when you’re listening to something that will make you feel embarrassed.
15. Finding yourself playing air drums even though you don’t know how to play actual drums.
16. Shushing someone because they’re not paying enough attention to the song you’re playing for them.
18. Finding out that a record you loved as a teen has hit an anniversary that makes you feel ancient.
19. Getting really, really excited when some obscure song you like comes on at a party.
Of course, no one else cares. You might not notice that right away.