1. Green Day basically copied The Kinks’ “Picture Book” for their song “Warning.”
2. James Murphy jacked the main hook in LCD Soundsystem’s “North American Scum” from Pete Shelley’s “Homosapien.”
3. Elastica borrowed liberally from at least four Wire songs in their career, but they’re most famous for using the riff from “Three Girl Rhumba” for their hit “Connection.”
4. Blur’s Damon Albarn was forced to give David Bowie a cowriter credit on “M.O.R.” because it so closely resembled “Boys Keep Swinging.”
5. Same goes for Chris Martin, who had to give Kraftwerk credit for cowriting Coldplay’s “Talk,” which straight-up steals the keyboard hook from “Computer Love.”
6. Pavement borrowed a lot from The Fall on their debut album, but it’s impossible not to notice how much “Conduit for Sale!” sounds like “New Face in Hell.”
7. The melody of The Flaming Lips’ “Fight Test” is pretty much exactly the same as Cat Stevens’ “Father and Son.” Stevens won a settlement and now receives 75% of all royalties on the song.
8. Sublime’s Bradley Nowell basically rewrote The Beatles’ “Lady Madonna” as “What I Got.”
9. Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” closely resembles Madonna’s “Express Yourself.”
10. The New Seekers successfully sued Oasis for using the melody of their biggest hit in “Shakermaker.”
11. Arcade Fire’s “Keep the Car Running” sounds suspiciously similar to John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band’s “On the Dark Side,” but in fairness, that song was kind of a Bruce Springsteen rip to begin with.
12. How did no one in Pearl Jam notice how much the melody of “Given to Fly” sounds like Led Zeppelin’s “Going to California”?
13. This song by The Offspring is like a bad Weird Al version of The Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.”
14. Nirvana almost didn’t release “Come As You Are” as a single because it so closely resembled Killing Joke’s “Eighties.”
15. The guitar hook of Jarvis Cocker’s “Black Magic” is a shameless lift from “Crimson and Clover.”
16. Both Wilco and Stereolab have based songs on the “motorik” rhythm of Neu!’s classic krautrock song “Hallogallo.”
In The News Today
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria who are currently in Hungary to come to their countries. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses today, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›