1. Marcus Mumford Is Not The Father Of His Bandmates
Let’s just clear that one up right away. It’s just the name of the band.
3. Their Lyrics Are Full of Christian Themes
Given his upbringing, it should come as no big surprise that Mumford’s lyrics are full of references to Christianity. For example, he sings “I was still but I was under your spell / When I was told by Jesus all was well / So all must be well / Just give me time” in “Below My Feet,” and the lyrics “Not With Haste” call back to Revelation 21:4.
4. Marcus Mumford Met His Wife Carey Mulligan As A Kid
The couple only dated for a few months before tying the knot, but they were childhood friends – pen pals, even! – who first met through their respective churches. Mulligan went on to become an acclaimed actress before meeting Mumford again as an adult.
5. Jake Gyllenhaal Was Partly Responsible For Mumford And Mulligan Hooking Up
Mumford reunited with Mulligan as adults when she and Jake Gyllenhaal went to see Mumford & Sons play a private house party in Nashville in February of 2011. After the show they all sang “Amazing Grace” backstage together.
8. Marcus Mumford and Comedian Ken Marino Are Not The Same Guy
They just look a lot alike.
9. They Have Their Own Songwriting Game
Some of their songs have resulted from a challenge they call the “10 Song Game.” Basically, they give themselves a set period of time in which the members must write 10 songs each without any criteria for quality. The Babel track “Reminder” was a result of this game.
10. Marcus Can Make A Pair Of Jorts in A Pinch
“I cut my jeans off in the bus, that’s bad [the heat] was” Mumford told Spin backstage at Bonnaroo in 2010. “It was a good pair of jeans! They were expensive, they were!”
13. Marcus Has His Own Book Club
Marcus set up an online book club mainly because he wanted to motivate himself to read more often. “I believe that you write what you read, just in the same way that if you’re a musician, you play what you listen to. So maybe all of our writing will improve,” he wrote on the band’s blog. The selections thus far have included Hermann Hesse’s Narcissus and Goldmund and The Pearl by John Steinbeck.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."