1. Serial Wired Christmas Lights
1) Only a giant vat of spiked eggnog will make you feel better about the daunting task of disentangling that rat’s nest.
2) When one bulb goes out, the whole thing goes out, and you have to find which one is the faulty one via trial and error. By the time you’re done, Christmas is already OVER.
2. The British Tap
Whoever coined the phrase “you choose, you lose” was not talking about an election but rather the British tap.
3. The Microwave Keypad
Almost every microwave control panel has about 18 more buttons than necessary.
4. Economy Airplane Seats
Just sit back, relax, and nestle your lower back into the weird, slight C-curve that defies human contour.
5. NYC Parking Signs
This is why you take the subway.
6. Clamshell Packaging
There’s even a technical term for the infuriation it provokes.
7. And really just any packaging that requires the thing inside to actually open it.
8. The NOKIA N-Gage
Like talking into a taco, basically.
9. The Pencils You Used in Elementary School
And forget trying to keep track of the little plastic cap that protects the eraser.
10. The Juice Carton
The fact that we lived so long with this tyranny to the point we grew to just accept it attests to how placated the human race has become.
12. The iPod Sock of 2004
They DO double as baby leg warmers, if that means anything to you at all.
13. 9-Pin Connectors
If one pin is even one nanometer out of place, it’s just not happening.
14. Almost Any Metro or Parking Ticket Machine
Probably faster to walk than to figure this machine out.
15. FIAT Multipla
“There’s something totally discordant about the front end of this car and I can’t stop staring at it…as if it were a six-fingered hand or a baby with two faces.”
16. Motion-Sensor Faucets
Fact: only one in five motion-sensor faucets actually works. But you get to wave your hands around maniacally in the process, which is probably a fun break from your monotonous day.
17. The Gear Shift in a Prius
“You push the handle forwards to go backwards, backwards to go forwards, and what the heck is B?”
18. Most Umbrellas
The Flimsy Umbrella Industrial Complex is an international conspiracy to keep us buying $6 umbrellas forever.
19. Heinz Ketchup Bottles
“…for making the simple act of pouring a liquid into a complex challenge.”
20. Most ATMs
Never mind that it’s almost 2014 and the display is still in MS-DOS font, but whoever designed this probably failed their UI 101 class.
22. Everything About Jewel CD Case Packaging
The way the plastic wrap was so hard to get off, the way the case would scratch the CD, the way the little prongs that hold the CD in place would break and float around in the CD case. Never forget.
23. The Great Gap Logo Redesign Fail of 2010
Remember this debacle? “Worst thing since satan,” ranted one blog.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.