1. Batanes is a tiny group of islands located at the northern tip of the Philippines
2. It is separated into three groups of islands: Batan, Sabtang and Itbayat
The capital of Batanes, Basco is located in Batan. Dequey and Vohas Island are part of Sabtang, and the rest of the northern islands are part of Itbayat.
5. These limestones were used by early settlers for their homes.
7. The Ivatan people traditionally wear a headgear called the “Vakul”, made from a plant called Voyavoy (Philippine Date Palm), to protect their heads from rain.
8. There is one volcano on the islands. Mount Iraya on the Island of Batan.
10. Basically, it’s paradise.
- In a landmark prison reform decision, California has agreed to a settlement that will effectively end indefinite solitary confinement in the state. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- Missouri executed Roderick Nunley Tuesday night for a 1989 rape and murder. It was the state's sixth execution this year, and the nation's 20th. ›