1. Know your worth.
Sarah Jane Smith won’t stand for that patriarchal bullshit.
2. Don’t be afraid to go after what you want.
The Doctor always likes to think he stole the TARDIS, but we know the truth of it.
3. Don’t let anyone get in the way of your career.
River Song may be married to the Doctor, but that doesn’t mean she hasn’t successfully pursued both a doctorate and a professorial degree. Atta babe.
4. Don’t take no for an answer.
Dorothy Gale “Ace” McShane knew when to listen and when to follow her heart… or passion for explosives, anyway, but who doesn’t love those?
5. Know when to leave a relationship that’s hurting you.
There’s no denying Martha Jones loved the Doctor, but when it was clear he wasn’t letting go of Rose, she had the strength to get out before it was too late.
7. Be fierce.
The Doctor could not pull his usual shit on Grace Holloway, even with all that luscious hair of his.
8. Take a break for yourself now and again.
Nyssa of Traken didn’t ever get too wrapped up in the Doctor’s schemes.
9. Stand up for what you believe in.
Donna Noble, queen of sass, always stood up for herself against the Doctor.
10. If you love someone, don’t worry about what the rest of the world might think.
Take it from Madame Vastra and Jenny: DGAF.
11. Don’t be afraid to be blunt.
Perry Brown doesn’t need your shit, Doctor.
12. Your appearance might change as you get older, but don’t let that bother you.
Take a page out of Romana’s book.
13. Understand when it’s time to let go.
Amy Pond knows that that takes strength too.
14. But know that it’s ok to be scared sometimes.
Even the impossible Clara Oswin Oswald gets frightened. Life’s big and scary.
17. Because we’re all only human, after all.
Rose Tyler embraces it!
18. So just be yourself.
The Doctor may have wanted Leela to be “more civilized”, but screw that. You do you, Leela!