A Pennsylvania town intends to fire its police chief after he posted videos of himself on YouTube shooting guns and railing against liberals.
Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler, the only full-time member of the town’s police force, was suspended in July after his videos went viral, garnering hundreds of thousands of views.
Town officials made the decision Thursday to fire Kessler after a closed-door hearing on his fate. They emerged and voted 6-1 in public to suspend him pending termination.
The council said he used “borough property for non-borough purposes without prior borough permission” while shooting his YouTube videos.
“No surprise,” Kessler said about the decision. “We knew it was coming.”
Kessler, who said he was simply exercising his constitutional rights in the videos, plans to file a wrongful termination lawsuit over what he called “smoke and mirrors allegations,” his attorney said.
“I feel in my heart I’m doing the right thing,” Kessler told the AP. “Yeah, I made some videos with some choice language, but that’s my right. That’s my freedom.”
3. Kessler posted several videos on YouTube railing against “libtards.” (Warning: Graphic language)
5. Some of Kessler’s armed supporters showed up to the town hearing on his fate Thursday.
Guns and TV cameras in the crowd in #Gilberton for #MarkKessler vote. @pennlive
Sunglasses and guns in #Gilberton for #MarkKessler vote. @pennlive
7. Kessler also came armed to the hearing.
Police chief #markkessler shows 2 of the 4 guns he was carrying during his hearing. #gilberton @pennlive
Break in meeting Chief Kessler speaks with Attorney Nahas #gilberton @PennLive
- A judge ruled that the six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, a black man allegedly killed by police in April, will have individual trials. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›