1. The 2012 campaign trail was chock full of highs and lows. Let’s remember!
2. Remember Josh Romney’s face?
The second Presidential Debate: Where American learned that Mitt Romney keeps women in binders… and that Josh Romney is a terrifying, intense version of Christian Bale.
3. How about when Clint Eastwood did this whole thing?
Republican Official: Mr. Eastwood, here is your speech.
Clint Eastwood: How about instead of that, I just go up there and improvise a skit?
Republican Official: Sure! What could go wrong?
4. Remember when we were all obsessed with Binders Full of Women?
The official Halloween costume of 2012 comes, ironically, from a guy who we’re pretty sure doesn’t celebrate Halloween.
5. And “You Didn’t Build That”?
What Obama meant to say was, “Americans all come together to help each other succeed.” But it kinda came out more like, “You know that business you started? Yeah, well, no you didn’t, dummy.”
6. Remember Karl Rove’s temper tantrum?
In a true bipartisan election night moment, America came together to watch GOP super-brain Karl Rove short circuit on national TV, manically and frantically challenging Fox News and, summarily, getting fired.
7. And “Horses and Bayonets”?
In the third debate, Obama totally sank Romney’s battleship.
8. And when Romney visited that Chipotle?
October, 2012: Mitt Romney pops into a Denver Chipotle, and manager Marty Arps can. Not. Believe. It.
9. And the whole Ann Romney dressage horse thing?
Pro Political Tip: If your goal is to look like an out-of-touch zillionaire, you should probably let people know that you own an Olympic dancing horse.
10. A lot of it was malarkey.
Anyone expecting Joe Biden to be chill and statesmanlike during the Vice Presidential Debate was… just kidding, nobody expected that.
11. Remember when Ann Romney said Mitt is “very funny”?
12. Remember Paul Ryan, P90 ex-candidate?
When you think Paul Ryan, you think of the one percent. Specifically, 1% body fat. The whole election might have turned out differently if the Vice Presidential Debate had a swimsuit component (and for real, why doesn’t it?).
13. Remember that guy Nate Silver? Who predicted the election results?
You should probably start asking him for gambling advice.
14. And really, anything relating to Joe Biden is worth remembering.
Frankly, as a gaffe generator, Vice President Biden is overrated. But as a .gif generator? That’s a whole ‘nother story.
Want more campaign craziness? Click here to pick up your e-copy of Panic 2012 by Michael Hastings for an inside look at the campaign trail, through the eyes of the White House Press Corps.