2. You had the most difficult name on the attendance sheet.
3. While everyone vacationed in the Bahamas, you vacationed in the homeland.
4. You mastered the art of interpreting your parents.
5. Your pronunciation of certain words was (and might still be) a little off.
6. Your after-school activities definitely stood out on your résumé.
7. Your parents let you fill out your own school documents because it was just faster that way.
8. You could get endless help with your math and science homework.
But help with your English homework was limited to a…
9. Anyone in your culture who made an “impact” in America was a household staple.
10. You were always chosen to play one of these three princesses.
11. Heritage theme days were a little less extravagant for you than for your peers.
13. Your house wasn’t very popular on Halloween.
14. Your friends came over for dinner expecting this…
15. Every fight started and ended the same way.
16. You and your parents communicated in your own hybrid language.
17. You didn’t learn the same nursery rhymes as your classmates.
18. You grew up reading these books.
Instead of these books.
19. Your weekends were spent at Hebrew/Chinese/whatever school.
21. Your parents were dishonored when you tried to Americanize your name.
22. You were jealous of the neighbor’s Christmas decorations.
24. You got to miss school for religious holidays!
26. Your response to “OMG say something in ______!” is…
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›