1. In 1947, Loran Smith photographed a blind woman and her seeing-eye cat for LIFE magazine.
2. The actual LIFE article doesn’t seem to be available online, but a little digging turned this up:
Davis County Clipper, January 31, 1947, via Utah Digital Newspapers.
4. Mr. Neighbor is all, “Can I help you cross the street?” and Mrs. Swanson is like, “Nah, I have a seeing eye cat, but thanks.”
5. Now it’s time to cross the street. Baby is on the case…
8. Maybe sometimes not going in the right direction even…
10. Most importantly, Baby is not going to let Mrs. Swanson step in front of any cars.
11. Back home after a busy day of seeing eye catting…
15. Good job, Baby!
All images (except the first one) by Loran Smith, © Time Inc.
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a dash-cam video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Brussels started reopening schools and the Metro Wednesday after a four-day security lockdown. The city remains on the highest terrorism alert. ›
- Pope Francis has arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›