1. The New Orleans Hornets will officially become the New Orleans Pelicans next season, and the new logo was unveiled today.
As we’ve noted before, “Pelicans” is a much more fitting team for a professional basketball team in New Orleans than Hornets. The pelican is the state bird of Louisiana, and as the Hornets outrageously claim on their website, pelicans “represent the essential qualities embodied by any successful team.” But did the Hornets/Pelicans choose the correct logo? A fan-created logo contest on 99designs.com produced some very cool-looking alternatives.
5. The winner of the fan contest beats the official New Orleans Pelicans hands down.
6. Meanwhile, the team names of Anthony Davis keep getting less and less threatening.
7. I can’t wait until he plays for the Louisville Sock Puppets (est. 2020).
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald have won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Grace Lee Boggs, Detroit activist and civil rights pioneer, has died at the age of 100, according to the Boggs Center. ›