1. The New Orleans Hornets will officially become the New Orleans Pelicans next season, and the new logo was unveiled today.
As we’ve noted before, “Pelicans” is a much more fitting team for a professional basketball team in New Orleans than Hornets. The pelican is the state bird of Louisiana, and as the Hornets outrageously claim on their website, pelicans “represent the essential qualities embodied by any successful team.” But did the Hornets/Pelicans choose the correct logo? A fan-created logo contest on 99designs.com produced some very cool-looking alternatives.
5. The winner of the fan contest beats the official New Orleans Pelicans hands down.
6. Meanwhile, the team names of Anthony Davis keep getting less and less threatening.
7. I can’t wait until he plays for the Louisville Sock Puppets (est. 2020).
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›