One cliché that underachieving teams often cling to is the idea that a that, in the middle of a depressing streak of terrible results, it’s never too late to turn over a new leaf. The hope is that, with enough hard work and determination, a team can rediscover its true form. The 17-25 Los Angeles Lakers are still waiting to find that form, and they’ve rebooted the season at least five times already.
2. October 30th: The Los Angeles Lakers open the actual NBA season with a loss against the Mavericks.
3. November 9th: The Lakers fire coach Mike Brown after a 1-4 start and win a few games under interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff.
Lakers’ first-season record: 5-5
5. November 20th: The Lakers begin a de facto second season under new coach Mike D’Antoni.
D’Antoni wins his first game at the helm in Brooklyn, but the Lakers continue to flounder, dropping nine of the next 12 games.
Lakers’ second-season record: 10-10
7. December 31st: The Lakers’ third season begins.
8. Next game: The Lakers begin a six-game losing streak.
Lakers’ third-season record: 2-10
10. January 11th: After losing to the Thunder, the Lakers’ fourth season begins.
11. Next game: The Lakers beat Cleveland! And Milwaukee! Then lose three straight.
The Lakers followed up two wins with losses to Miami, Toronto, and Chicago.
Lakers’ fourth-season record: 2-3
13. January 23rd: Dwight Howard says the Lakers will begin a fifth season.
14. Later that day:
Lakers’ fifth-season record so far: 0-1
16. In not a single one of the Lakers’ five seasons is their winning percentage good enough to make the playoffs.
The Rockets hold the 8th spot in the Western Conference at 22-22, but they own a tiebreaker against the Lakers.
- President Barack Obama will unveil on Monday a plan that is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- Undocumented immigrants living in Britain will face abrupt eviction from rental properties under new laws designed to reduce the UK's appeal as a migrant destination.
- California Gov. Jerry Brown called for a state of emergency as wildfires burned thousands of acres by Sunday and forced hundreds of evacuations.