The Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL decided to honor the largest North American land bird by bringing an actual, live condor onto the ice. A natural scavenger, the condor escaped its handler and hunted for Don Cherry or other carrion. This is what ensued.
2. The condor, sensing prey and irritated by a sub-par national anthem, escaped the grasp of its handler.
3. Surprisingly, a condor’s talons aren’t well-equipped to walk on ice.
4. The handler caught the condor, but took a nasty spill while trying to get back to the carpet.
6. He scurried over to the bench and terrified the players.
7. This guy wasn’t about to mess with a condor.
8. Joe Krathwohl, the “Birdman of Las Vegas” who handled the condor, tried to explain what happened.
9. Here’s the whole escape.
H/T Sean Newell at Deadspin
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.