1. You might say this all began when Rep. Darrell Issa held a hearing on the contraceptive coverage benefit under the Affordable Care Act, and featured a now-infamous all-male panel of religious leaders.
2. Why weren’t there any women on a panel about women’s health? Because Rep. Issa refused to allow Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke to testify on behalf of her fellow students who need contraceptives for medical reasons, saying she was unqualified.
Rep. Carolyn Maloney and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton were so appalled they walked out of the original hearing after demanding, “Where are the women?”
Sandra Fluke was later permitted to give her testimony in a hearing sponsored by Reps. Nancy Pelosi and Carolyn Maloney.
4. That’s how they do it in Congress. Republican politicians have tried time and again to shut down democratic voices across the country.
5. In Texas, anti-choice politicians manipulated the rules, cut off debate, and refused to let pro-choice citizens testify about their opposition to a bill that’s resulted in clinic closures across the state.
Wendy Davis led an epic 13-hour filibuster to stop them, and even though she ran out the clock, her colleagues cheated to win.
6. Some of these politicians can’t even handle using accurate medical terminology to talk about lady parts (even though they are obsessed with them)!
7. In Michigan, state Rep. Lisa Brown was refused the right to speak when she said “vagina”(gasp!) while opposing an abortion ban after 20 weeks.
8. Aren’t Midwesterners supposed to be polite? Not these guys in Wisconsin. In order to get their way and pass forced-ultrasound legislation, anti-choice politicians cut off debate.
The Wisconsin Senate President actually screamed, “It’s non-debatable! Call the roll! You’re out of order!” to silence his pro-choice colleagues.