1. We can tell it feels good… scientists now think they know why.
2. Gentle stroking activates a type of neuron: the MRGPRB4+ neuron.
3. Researchers have confirmed that this neuron is found in all mammals.
4. Its activation is related to lower stress-responses.
Koala doesn’t seem very stressed at all
5. The nerve endings of these neurons are widely spaced on skin…
6. …which is why only gentle stroking activates these neurons
7. Birds may also have these neurons…
8. …creating evolutionary connections across many species thought to be unrelated.
9. The reason why these neurons evolved is unclear.
10. Consider it nature’s gift.
So, pet and be pet!!
- The U.S., Japan, and 10 other Pacific Rim nations have agreed to a historic trade deal encompassing 40% of the world's economy. ›
- Three scientists who developed treatments against parasites have won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. ›
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›