1. We can tell it feels good… scientists now think they know why.
2. Gentle stroking activates a type of neuron: the MRGPRB4+ neuron.
3. Researchers have confirmed that this neuron is found in all mammals.
4. Its activation is related to lower stress-responses.
Koala doesn’t seem very stressed at all
5. The nerve endings of these neurons are widely spaced on skin…
6. …which is why only gentle stroking activates these neurons
7. Birds may also have these neurons…
8. …creating evolutionary connections across many species thought to be unrelated.
9. The reason why these neurons evolved is unclear.
10. Consider it nature’s gift.
So, pet and be pet!!
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›