4. At the event, you hang out by the door for a bit.
You know, scope out the situ.
5. Nervously look around. Why is everyone so comfortable and talkative?
7. So you stand around and smile at everyone for a while.
“How’re you?” “Good, you?” “Good as well, you?” awkward silence
8. You feel like an awkward giant.
Or like an underwhelming duckling. Whichever applies.
9. You’re jumpy as hell.
You nearly screamed when the waiter asked if you wanted a refill.
11. If you try to shake someone’s hand, you might do something stupid.
Like fall. For no reason.
14. You run into a colleague, but he’s so busy networking, he ignores you.
“Okay, then. See you later.”
17. If you’re with someone else, they’re hogging all the limelight.
Shut up and let me talk!