1. In true Finnish fashion, Ilmari Koppinen came out of the blocks strong and jumped out to an early lead.
Be my grandpas, please!
2. And for the first 30 meters or so, he maintained that lead with flawless form.
Notice the low swinging arm motion. Classic old man move right there.
3. But then, out of nowhere, Emiel came sprinting up the track, like a goddamn gazelle running away from a cheetah or something cool like that.
Honestly, if this was on Nat Geo, it would be the most popular show ever.
4. And with the finish line approaching, the two men were neck and neck.
You can’t write drama like this.
5. But there could only be one winner…
6. Watch the video to see what happens:
UPDATE, Jan. 13: Emiel Pauwels, the winner of this race, committed euthanasia earlier this month after battling cancer. According to ABC News, Pauwels celebrated his impending death with friends, family and champagne, and “still looked a picture of vigor” just two days before his death was confirmed. His hometown of Bruges is planning to name a street after him.