Mick Foley is a kind-hearted man of many talents. He’s a New York Times’ best selling author, a children’s book author, a philanthropist, an activist, a charitable man whose work with the Make-a-Wish Foundation, ChildFund International, and the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) have defined him as quite possibly the most awesome man on the planet. So awesome that Jon Stewart awarded Foley the “Medal of Reasonableness” at the 2010 Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
But Foley is, above all, a wrestler AND A DAMN GOOD ONE. Whether performing under the guise of Mankind, Cactus Jack or Dude Love, he’s delivered some of the most memorable moments in wrestling history.
Do you remember the time when…
2. He was thrown off a 20-foot high steel cage through an announcing table?
Very early into the match, Mick Foley was thrown off the cage through the Spanish announce table at ringside. As medics carried him out in a stretcher, he got back up, walked to the ring and once again climbed to the top of the cage…
3. Or the time he was chokeslammed through the steel cage itself?
After being thrown off the cage and through the announce table, Foley re-climbed to the top only to be chokeslammed THROUGH the cage. As he slammed onto the mat, a chair came crashing down on his face. One of his teeth ended up in his nose. Foley doesn’t remember what happened after he crashed onto the mat, but the match continued for another ten minutes…
4. What about the time he was slammed onto thumbtacks?
A concussed Mick Foley doesn’t remember being slammed onto thumbtacks. But it happened.
5. And then back-dropped onto more thumbtacks?
The thumbtacks are real. Look at the soles of his boots.
6. And then back-dropped through the cage AND the ring?
In one of many of Foley’s “last hurrah” matches, he wanted to outdo himself. So he went through the cage AND the ring.
7. Remember when he went through a table set on fire?
There was a table. It was on fire. He was tackled through the table on fire. YUP!
8. Or when he was thrown onto a land mine?
The match was called “King of the Deathmatch” held in Japan. Apart from explosives, there was glass, fire, thumbtacks and barbed wire in the place of ring ropes.
11. Bumped off the stage and onto concrete?
The table was supposed to break his fall. But he missed the table and crashed onto the concrete.
12. Bumped onto a table covered in barbed wire?
After being whacked with a 2-by-4 wrapped in barbed wire lit on FIRE, he crashed through a table covered in barbed wire. At least it broke his fall.
13. Remember when he missed the elbow drop from the top of the cage?
An average wrestling ring has only one inch of padding…
14. Missed the elbow drop from the second rope?
Foley was supposed to drop the elbow on The Rock and crash through the table. However, he failed to launch properly from the second rope and crashed face-first onto the edge of the table.
15. Dropped the elbow into a dumpster…
There was a man inside that dumpster…
16. …then thrown off the stage while STILL IN THE DUMPSTER?
A new tag team, The New Age Outlaws, wanted to make a name for themselves. So after Foley dropped the elbow into the dumpster, they locked him and his opponent inside and rolled them off stage. The stunt worked and the Outlaws became one of the most recognized tag teams in wrestling history… but not before giving Foley a concussion.
Since his debut in 1986, he’s suffered a long list of injuries including “eight concussions, five incidents of broken ribs, a broken cheekbone, second-degree burns and a torn abdominal.” He’s also lost two-thirds of his right ear and a number of teeth.
So the next time someone says that wrestling is fake, just point them in Foley’s direction.
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who accused of helping two inmates escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.
- The NFL has upheld Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈