1. Weather Here Is Awful
It’s raining, pretty much all the time. The “winter” storms are really just aggressive rainstorms. And in the spring, it’s raining constantly, like, even into June. WTF.
2. BUT sometimes the weather is great
DC has three months of perfect weather, and they’re not even consecutive. But when it’s warm outside, GAME ON.
3. DC Knows How To Drink
It starts off like any other Friday night
But escalates quickly
And everyone starts getting frisky
Then the morning after
4. DC Traffic Is The Absolute WORST
Too many cars, all the time. And everyone has an opinion on who the worst drivers are. Maryland! Virginia! (Hint: It actually is Maryland)
5. Tourists. Everywhere.
We live in the nation’s capital, it’s bound to happen. Doesn’t make it any less awful.
6. BUT DC Tourism Is Marketing Towards Gays Now (Awesome)
7. New Restaurants Open Almost Every Week
Between The Pig that opened a few months ago, Le Diplomate, and B Too, dining options are expanding by the day. Food lovers rejoice.
8. The DC Metro System Could Use Some Work
From routes being closed due to construction or “maintenance” to the Red Line almost never working, ever, the DC subway system needs to get it together. But on the plus side, it’s also one of the country’s cleanest subway systems. That’s something, right?
9. Liquor Stores Are Open On Sundays
10. The President Lives Here
Sure, your schedule is ruined by another motorcade, but then you remember, the leader of the free world is like 30 feet from you.
11. Cupcakes EVERYWHERE
Where to begin? Baked & Wired, Georgetown Cupcake, Sprinkles, Hello Cupcake, Red Velvet Cupcakery, the list goes on. And we’re not mad at it.
12. Lastly, The National Mall
Sometimes we forget that all these huge historic monuments are in our backyard, and we’re so close to years of important history. We advise getting a cupcake and exploring the monuments. They’re kind of…monumental.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›